Here are your four story exercises for today. If you enjoy these prompts (or are looking to improve your writing or submit a manuscript), do take a look at my online courses… five are currently half price and the other two are FREE (when using coupon codes)!
Time yourself for 15 minutes for each one, then either have a break or move on to the next one. When you’ve finished, do pop over to this blog’s Facebook Group and let everyone know how you got on.
- Keywords: travel, family, adjust, coming, need
- Random: knowing what they want at three
- Picture: what does this inspire?
- Sentence start: The little dog…
See below for explanations of the prompts, they do vary…
- First person piece or monologue (a one-sided conversation).
- Title: This is the title of your story.
- Picture prompts = nothing other than a picture. What does it conjure up?
- Random = whatever takes my fancy!
- Don’t forget your five senses: sight, sound, touch, taste, smell
- Colours: Include at least one colour in your story. It does add depth.
- Use strong verbs and avoid adverbs: Have a character striding instead of walking confidently.
- Only use repetition to emphasise.
Picture above courtesy of morguefile.com or pixabay.com
I love to talk about writing so feel free to email me. My online writing group blogs and their associated Facebook groups are:
Morgen’s Online Non-Fiction Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Novel Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Poetry Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Script Writing Group
Morgen’s Online Short Story Writing Group
Thank you for reading this and we look forward to your comments.